Releases: Expanded View
Resources For Your DNC Philadelphia Stories
New DNC Destination Media Website Includes Vantage Point Map, Interview Database & B-Roll
VISIT PHILADELPHIA®, the region’s official destination marketing organization, has created destination resources for media to use up to and through the Democratic National Convention, taking place in Philadelphia July 25-28, 2016. All available on the new visitphilly.com/dncpress, the tools can help press develop compelling destination stories; discover the best locations for man-on-the-street coverage, stand-up video shots and photos; and identify interesting interview subjects.
- Interview Database: VISIT PHILADELPHIA built a database of potential interview subjects—people who can speak about the city’s history, art, food scene, LGBT culture, music legacy, tourism and more.
- Press Releases & Story Ideas: VISIT PHILADELPHIA is the go-to source for Philadelphia history, politics, food, events and more. Here’s a sample of available press releases:
- 10 Things You (Probably) Don’t Know About the 2016 DNC Host City
- A Tale of Two Host Cities: Philly vs. Cleveland
- DNC-Related Events & Food Specials
- Political Ephemera in Philadelphia Collections
- Philadelphia Sites of Political Significance
- Vantage Points Google Map: The interactive Google Map features the best places for photos and stand-up locations. Each location’s marker includes a photo of the spot, the address and permit information, if needed.
- Photography: High-resolution photos available for download illustrate Philadelphia stories.
- B-Roll Library: Organized by 22 topics, the b-roll library contains hours of raw high-definition video footage.
More For Media:
- Tours & Behind-the-Scenes Access: VISIT PHILADELPHIA has developed tours that focus on Philadelphia’s rich history (July 23) and organized early-morning access to the Liberty Bell Center and Independence Hall (July 24). Media can join in these outings or request a customized tour both before and during the convention.
- Vantage Points Map: The hard-copy version of the Google Map makes getting the perfect shot easier for on-the-go photographers and videographers.
- DNC Destination Media Guide: The 20-panel, foldout brochure is designed to help media cover and enjoy Philadelphia, both before and during the DNC. Sections include “Philly 101,” “Late-Night Eats & Drinks,” “Quick Cultural Outings” and “Political Sites.”
- Twitter.com/visitphillyPR: VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s just-for-media Twitter account focuses on Philadelphia tourism news and happenings, including DNC stories and announcements.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® is our name and our mission. As the region’s official tourism marketing agency, we build Greater Philadelphia’s image, drive visitation and boost the economy.
On Greater Philadelphia’s official visitor website and blog, visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com, visitors can explore things to do, upcoming events, themed itineraries and hotel packages. Compelling photography and videos, interactive maps and detailed visitor information make the sites effective trip-planning tools. Along with Visit Philly social media channels, the online platforms communicate directly with consumers. Travelers can also call and stop into the Independence Visitor Center for additional information and tickets.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA Reports A Record For 2016 Leisure Tourism & Announces Plans For 2017
At today’s VISIT PHILADELPHIA® New Year’s Breakfast, the destination marketing organization released record 2016 hotel numbers for Center City Philadelphia and announced upcoming marketing initiatives, including a new virtual-reality and 360-degree video and photo experience on visitphilly.com; new With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® ads for winter; year two for Philadelphia’s Historic District campaign; and a perks-packed, limited-time-only Visit Philly Overnight Hotel Package.
2016: A Record Year:
In 2016, Center City Philadelphia hotels are projected to have hit:
- Record occupancy – 78%
–3.2 million hotel room nights
- Record leisure room nights – 1 million for the first time
How Is Visit Philly Supporting the DNC?
Philadelphia is ready to welcome the 2016 Democratic National Convention (DNC) to town from July 25-28, 2016—and with it, the eyes of the world. As the five-county region’s official destination-marketing organization, VISIT PHILADELPHIA® has been working for more than a year to ensure that the region is a star, not a backdrop, through media relations, web and social media promotion, advertisements and collateral.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA worked on the bid, presented to the site-selection committee, served on committees, delivered speeches, sat on panels and conducted interviews about Philadelphia’s major role in the DNC—and that’s just the beginning. Here’s a look...
10 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About The 2016 DNC Host City, Philadelphia
The 2016 Democratic National Convention will take place in Philadelphia, the birthplace of America and the country’s first World Heritage City, July 25-28, 2016. The city has enough history, art, culture, food, vibrant neighborhoods, parks and political landmarks to fill web, newspaper and magazine pages from now until the convention.
Here are 10 things people might not know about the host city, plus key resources for convention and destination coverage.
10 Philly Facts You (Probably) Don’t Know:
- One-quarter of the U.S. population lives within a five-hour drive of Philadelphia.
- The fast-growing Indego bike-share program launched in spring 2015 and
Look Toward Heaven: Pope Billboards Build Excitement For Papal Visit
Four area billboards featuring larger-than-life images of Pope Francis welcome the pope and pilgrims to Philadelphia for World Meeting of Families (WMOF) and the papal visit. The creative ads are part of VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® campaign.
“This is an uplifting time for Philadelphia, and we want to celebrate that in our campaign,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO of VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “People will be telling their children about Pope Francis’ visit to Philadelphia for years to come; this is an historic event, and it deserves to be showcased.”
Billboard Lines & Locations:
My Phillyosophy: Great cities...
Destination Resource Guide For Media
For a downloadable and printable PDF of this guide, click here.
WELCOME TO PHILADELPHIA!
Dear Media Friend,
Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love for the World Meeting of Families!
During the week ahead, we know you have many stories to file, and we hope this primarily Center City-focused guide will assist you in covering and enjoying the destination itself. We also hope you will take some time to explore our beloved region on your own. In this small but information-packed guide, we give you the scoop on:
- Our city’s founding and layout
- Must-do suggestions for families and first-timers
#Visitphilly Photo Spots Pop Up All Over Philly This Summer
XOXO marks the spot this summer in Philadelphia thanks to seven fun #visitphilly Photo Spots located at highly trafficked and iconic areas throughout the city. From June 11 through September 30, 2015, locals and the millions of visitors in town for summer vacations and special events are encouraged to snap photos with these structures, tag them #visitphilly and share them on social media. These instructions will appear at each structure and on ground graphics found at other great photo opportunities around town such as the Rocky statue. An initiative of VISIT PHILADELPHIA®, the summer-long promotion ties into the organization’s...
VISIT PHILADELPHIA™ Launches Rocky Itinerary & Sweepstakes In Time For Beloved Boxer's Broadway Debut
The official debut of Rocky Broadway in New York City on March 13 and the recent release of the Rocky Heavyweight collection of all six Rocky films gives fans of the beloved character Rocky Balboa the perfect excuse to re-explore the city the championship boxer called home, and VISIT PHILADELPHIA™ is making it easy for visitors to do just that. The Quintessential Rocky Tour of Philadelphia and the Ultimate Rocky Weekend Sweepstakes, both found at visitphilly.com/rocky, encourage visitors to explore the city where the boxer lived, loved and trained.
“Nearly 40 years later, people are still enthusiastic fans of the...
Visit Philadelphia Takes The Philly Message To Austin During The SXSW Festival
Visit Philadelphia™ is again taking its message on the road to Austin during the popular South by Southwest (SXSW) festival with a sponsorship that will show off Philly to the influential millennial market. Happening on Thursday, March 13 at Cheer Up Charlie’s bar, Homesick Philly—part of the Death and Taxes East End event—will feature a Philly-branded stage, a beer garden serving Victory Brewing Company beer and a chance for festival-goers to win a trip to the Roots Picnic in Philadelphia and other prizes.
“Millennials are an important market for us,” said Meryl Levitz, president & CEO, Visit Philadelphia. “They...
Fact Sheet: The Philadelphia Region
There are 4.0 million people residing in the five-county region (7.8 million in the Philadelphia Designated Market Area) and 1.6 million in Philadelphia, making it the second-largest city on the East Coast and the fifth-largest in the country. Center City ranks second in downtown populations in the U.S., behind New York City’s Manhattan.
Philadelphia is a two-hour drive from New York City, two-and-a-half hours from Washington, DC and 45 minutes from Atlantic City, with convenient access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-76, I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike. 25% of the United States population lives within 350