Releases: Expanded View
How Is Visit Philly Supporting the DNC?
Philadelphia is ready to welcome the 2016 Democratic National Convention (DNC) to town from July 25-28, 2016—and with it, the eyes of the world. As the five-county region’s official destination-marketing organization, VISIT PHILADELPHIA® has been working for more than a year to ensure that the region is a star, not a backdrop, through media relations, web and social media promotion, advertisements and collateral.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA worked on the bid, presented to the site-selection committee, served on committees, delivered speeches, sat on panels and conducted interviews about Philadelphia’s major role in the DNC—and that’s just the beginning. Here’s a look at more of what VISIT PHILADELPHIA is doing to make the convention a productive and pleasurable one for attendees:
- Online Media Resource Center: VISIT PHILADELPHIA created a one-stop shop for media covering Philadelphia as a destination: visitphilly.com/dncpress. The site includes DNC-related press releases, photos and videos of Philadelphia, an interactive vantage points map and an interview database, which comprises detailed listings about a diverse group of 100 accomplished Philadelphians available for interviews.
- Media Tours: Prior to and during to the convention, VISIT PHILADELPHIA will lead organized tours to show off Philadelphia’s historical and cultural assets. Available at scheduled times and on-demand, tour options include:
- Lay-of-the-land tour, with a special focus on great vantage points for media stories
- Conventional history tour
- First-person looks at Philadelphia’s food, street art and underground scenes
- Anytime access to the PHLASH bus, which stops at attractions throughout Center City
- Press Centers: VISIT PHILADELPHIA organized Philadelphia media resource centers together with the City of Philadelphia, the DNC Host Committee and the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau (PHLCVB). Staff will welcome media professionals and supply them with Philadelphia-related stories, photography and video at the press centers located in the Wells Fargo Center media pavilion (booth 906) and the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
- Monitoring & Engagement: Beginning in April, Visit Philly launched a social media campaign to start conversations with DNC delegates, visitors and media with relevant content, targeted social media advertising, monitoring and engagement, particularly on Facebook and Twitter.
- Hashtag Promotion: Visit Philly has joined forces with the DNC Host Committee to promote #DNCDeals, a hashtag designed to show off specials at restaurants and attractions during the DNC; #DonkeysAroundTown, the hashtag for the citywide installation of 57 fiberglass donkeys; and #PHLDNC2016, the official hashtag of the host committee. Curated by Visit Philly, galleries for #DNCDeals and #DonkeysAroundTown appear online at visitphilly.com/dnc.
- News & Updates: During and leading up to the convention, Visit Philly’s social channels will distribute news and updates, host live one-on-one interviews with local leaders, show behind-the-scenes photos and videos and share user-generated content from the convention and beyond.
- visitphilly.com/dnc: Philadelphia’s official visitor website features details about PoliticalFest, #DNCDeals, Donkeys Around Town and all of the great visitor-planning information it’s known for. That includes details about what to do, where to eat, where to stay, getting here and getting around during the DNC.
- uwishunu.com: Philly’s what’s-happening blog has been providing DNC-related news and updates and will continue to do so leading up to and during the convention.
- Billboards Around Town: Up since late-June, three different With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® ads will greet convention-goers, media and travelers with DNC and come-back messages. The ads appear on billboards along I-676 and I-95 in Philadelphia, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and on Route 30 in South Jersey. Advertising also appears on screens at the Philadelphia International Airport and other Center City locations and will remain on display through early August.
Collateral Materials & Promotional Items:
- DNC Pocket Guides: In collaboration with the DNC Host Committee and PHLCVB, VISIT PHILADELPHIA created two different pocket guides: one for media and another for delegates. They’ll be distributed in the welcome bags, at hotel welcome desks and at the press centers to help visitors enjoy their time in Philadelphia.
- Welcome Bags: VISIT PHILADELPHIA coordinated items for 10,000 welcome bags that will be distributed to 6,000 delegates and 4,000 media. The bags include fun and useful items, including a With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® magnetic photo frame—one of VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s contributions to the bags.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® is our name and our mission. As the region’s official tourism marketing agency, we build Greater Philadelphia’s image, drive visitation and boost the economy.
On Greater Philadelphia’s official visitor website and blog, visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com, visitors can explore things to do, upcoming events, themed itineraries and hotel packages. Compelling photography and videos, interactive maps and detailed visitor information make the sites effective trip-planning tools. Along with Visit Philly social media channels, the online platforms communicate directly with consumers. Travelers can also call and stop into the Independence Visitor Center for additional information and tickets.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA Reports A Record For 2016 Leisure Tourism & Announces Plans For 2017
At today’s VISIT PHILADELPHIA® New Year’s Breakfast, the destination marketing organization released record 2016 hotel numbers for Center City Philadelphia and announced upcoming marketing initiatives, including a new virtual-reality and 360-degree video and photo experience on visitphilly.com; new With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® ads for winter; year two for Philadelphia’s Historic District campaign; and a perks-packed, limited-time-only Visit Philly Overnight Hotel Package.
2016: A Record Year:
In 2016, Center City Philadelphia hotels are projected to have hit:
- Record occupancy – 78%
–3.2 million hotel room nights
- Record leisure room nights – 1 million for the first time
Resources For Your DNC Philadelphia Stories
VISIT PHILADELPHIA®, the region’s official destination marketing organization, has created destination resources for media to use up to and through the Democratic National Convention, taking place in Philadelphia July 25-28, 2016. All available on the new visitphilly.com/dncpress, the tools can help press develop compelling destination stories; discover the best locations for man-on-the-street coverage, stand-up video shots and photos; and identify interesting interview subjects.
- Interview Database: VISIT PHILADELPHIA built a database of potential interview subjects—people who can speak about the city’s history, art, food scene, LGBT culture, music legacy, tourism and more.
- Press Releases & Story
10 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About The 2016 DNC Host City, Philadelphia
The 2016 Democratic National Convention will take place in Philadelphia, the birthplace of America and the country’s first World Heritage City, July 25-28, 2016. The city has enough history, art, culture, food, vibrant neighborhoods, parks and political landmarks to fill web, newspaper and magazine pages from now until the convention.
Here are 10 things people might not know about the host city, plus key resources for convention and destination coverage.
10 Philly Facts You (Probably) Don’t Know:
- One-quarter of the U.S. population lives within a five-hour drive of Philadelphia.
- The fast-growing Indego bike-share program launched in spring 2015 and
Look Toward Heaven: Pope Billboards Build Excitement For Papal Visit
Four area billboards featuring larger-than-life images of Pope Francis welcome the pope and pilgrims to Philadelphia for World Meeting of Families (WMOF) and the papal visit. The creative ads are part of VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® campaign.
“This is an uplifting time for Philadelphia, and we want to celebrate that in our campaign,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO of VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “People will be telling their children about Pope Francis’ visit to Philadelphia for years to come; this is an historic event, and it deserves to be showcased.”
Billboard Lines & Locations:
My Phillyosophy: Great cities...
Destination Resource Guide For Media
For a downloadable and printable PDF of this guide, click here.
WELCOME TO PHILADELPHIA!
Dear Media Friend,
Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love for the World Meeting of Families!
During the week ahead, we know you have many stories to file, and we hope this primarily Center City-focused guide will assist you in covering and enjoying the destination itself. We also hope you will take some time to explore our beloved region on your own. In this small but information-packed guide, we give you the scoop on:
- Our city’s founding and layout
- Must-do suggestions for families and first-timers
#Visitphilly Photo Spots Pop Up All Over Philly This Summer
XOXO marks the spot this summer in Philadelphia thanks to seven fun #visitphilly Photo Spots located at highly trafficked and iconic areas throughout the city. From June 11 through September 30, 2015, locals and the millions of visitors in town for summer vacations and special events are encouraged to snap photos with these structures, tag them #visitphilly and share them on social media. These instructions will appear at each structure and on ground graphics found at other great photo opportunities around town such as the Rocky statue. An initiative of VISIT PHILADELPHIA®, the summer-long promotion ties into the organization’s...
VISIT PHILADELPHIA™ Launches Rocky Itinerary & Sweepstakes In Time For Beloved Boxer's Broadway Debut
The official debut of Rocky Broadway in New York City on March 13 and the recent release of the Rocky Heavyweight collection of all six Rocky films gives fans of the beloved character Rocky Balboa the perfect excuse to re-explore the city the championship boxer called home, and VISIT PHILADELPHIA™ is making it easy for visitors to do just that. The Quintessential Rocky Tour of Philadelphia and the Ultimate Rocky Weekend Sweepstakes, both found at visitphilly.com/rocky, encourage visitors to explore the city where the boxer lived, loved and trained.
“Nearly 40 years later, people are still enthusiastic fans of the...
Visit Philadelphia Takes The Philly Message To Austin During The SXSW Festival
Visit Philadelphia™ is again taking its message on the road to Austin during the popular South by Southwest (SXSW) festival with a sponsorship that will show off Philly to the influential millennial market. Happening on Thursday, March 13 at Cheer Up Charlie’s bar, Homesick Philly—part of the Death and Taxes East End event—will feature a Philly-branded stage, a beer garden serving Victory Brewing Company beer and a chance for festival-goers to win a trip to the Roots Picnic in Philadelphia and other prizes.
“Millennials are an important market for us,” said Meryl Levitz, president & CEO, Visit Philadelphia. “They...
Fact Sheet: The Philadelphia Region
There are 4.0 million people residing in the five-county region (7.8 million in the Philadelphia Designated Market Area) and 1.6 million in Philadelphia, making it the second-largest city on the East Coast and the fifth-largest in the country. Center City ranks second in downtown populations in the U.S., behind New York City’s Manhattan.
Philadelphia is a two-hour drive from New York City, two-and-a-half hours from Washington, DC and 45 minutes from Atlantic City, with convenient access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-76, I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike. 25% of the United States population lives within 350