Releases: Expanded View
12 Stats That Show Why GPTMC's Visit Philly Web Properties Rocked In 2012
Innovative New Features, Timely Content & Vibrant Photos Resulted In Record-Setting Web Visitation
It was a record-setting year for the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation’s (GPTMC) web properties, with visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com welcoming 8.7 million visits—a 33% increase from 2011. Both sites, along with GPTMC’s 16 ahead-of-the-curve social media properties, relied on timely content, vibrant photography, technical innovation and all of the company’s integrated marketing muscle to attract and engage potential visitors. Here’s a look at some 2012 news and numbers worth bragging about:
Visitphilly.com Is Tops:
- Out of the 10 largest cities in the United States, Philadelphia has the most-visited destination website in visitphilly.com, ranking above powerhouse destinations such as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Diego. (Source: Quantcast)
- Visitphilly.com garnered more than 21 million pageviews, and its 6.1 million visits marks a 35% increase from 2011.
- 75% of people polled on visitphilly.com said that their online visit improved their impression of the city.
- More than 1.5 million visits—26% of the site’s traffic—came from phones and tablets.
- The site is steadily building international traffic. In fact, people from 213 countries accounted for 513,000 visits. The top three countries driving traffic: Canada, United Kingdom and Germany.
New On Uwishunu.com:
- Uwishunu.com garnered 6.3 million pageviews, and its 2.6 million visits mark a 27% increase from the previous year.
- An astounding 94% of respondents to a uwishunu.com reader survey said they attended an attraction or an event featured on the site.
- The blog made three innovative additions to the site, including:
- Events Calendar: This curated calendar of events—readers’ top-requested innovation—is chock full of happenings searchable by day, location or theme.
- Seasonal Guides: These indispensable resources compile all existing seasonal content on one easy-to-browse page.
- Google Field Trip: Uwishunu.com serves as Google’s local content partner for the new Field Trip app. Philadelphia is the first city Google approached to provide them with content for this location-based app that acts like a pocket guide to all of a city’s hidden treasures.
Social Media Soars:
- GPTMC’s presence on Facebook, Twitter, Foodspotting, Foursquare, Instagram and Pinterest engaged 310,000 fans and followers in 2012, a 74% increase from 2011.
- 48% of out-of-town social media followers said they have planned a trip to Philadelphia based on a post viewed on one of GPTMC’s social media properties.
- Visit Philly’s dynamic Facebook content engaged users, who clicked, commented and liked more than 750,000 times in 2012.
- Visit Philly’s Twitter followers retweeted GPTMC content more than 41,000 times and replied to and mentioned it 18,000 times.
Coming to GPTMC’s social media world in 2013: a Facebook promotion and Pinterest contest promoting the With Art Philadelphia™ campaign and encouraging visitors to curate their own Philadelphia art experiences, a social media promotion that encourages visitors to explore the city’s neighborhoods a little more deeply than they normally would and partnerships with local sports teams to leverage their passionate fan bases.
The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation (GPTMC) makes Philadelphia and The Countryside® a premier destination through marketing and image building that increases business and promotes the region’s vitality.
For more information about travel to Philadelphia, visit visitphilly.com or uwishunu.com, where you can build itineraries; search event calendars; see photos and videos; view interactive maps; sign up for newsletters; listen to HearPhilly, an online radio station about what to see and do in the region; book hotel reservations and more. Or, call the Independence Visitor Center, located in Historic Philadelphia, at (800) 537-7676.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA Reports Record Visitation To Region In 2015
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® today announced the sixth straight year for record visitation to the five-county region: 41 million domestic visitors in 2015, with 88% here for a leisure purpose. The year also brought record highs for tourism’s economic impact, which came in at $10.7 billion for the year.
“Each year, more people visit Philadelphia, more people stay overnight and more people find reasons to visit every month of the year, not just during the warm-weather months or for big events,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO, VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “They’re also spending more while they’re here, and that’s a major plus...
Memorial Day Weekend Breaks Records For Center City Hotels
Center City hotels were full this Memorial Day weekend with both Saturday and Sunday seeing the highest occupancies for those nights in at least a decade.
Overall Weekend Hotel Occupancy:
- Friday: 82.8% (+5% from 2015 when occupancy was at 78.5%, source: Smith Travel Research)
- Saturday: 98.0% (+1.4% from 2015 when occupancy was at 96%, source: Smith Travel)
- Sunday 93.4% (+21.1% from 2015 when occupancy was at 77%, source: Travel Click 2016)
“Memorial Day weekend is the start of the summer tourism season, and what a great one it was for Philadelphia thanks to so many factors in Historic Philadelphia and...
A Tale Of Two Host Cities: Philadelphia And Cleveland Put On 2016 Political Conventions
While presidential candidates are going head-to-head in heated discourse, the great American cities of Philadelphia and Cleveland are pushing political banter aside to ready themselves for the national spotlight as they host the Democratic National Convention (July 25-28) and Republican National Convention (July 18-21), respectively. Cleveland’s last political convention was the 1936 RNC; that same year, Philadelphia welcomed the DNC. The cities will be part of history again in 2016.
Both destinations have a loyal fan base; residents love their respective city’s arts and culture, history, music and food, and visitors clamor over much of the same. Here’s a look...
VISIT PHILADELPHIA Wins Major Industry Award For Social Media
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® won an esteemed Gold Adrian Award from Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI) for Digital Marketing Excellence. The awards were announced at a gala in New York City last night, February 16.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA earned the win for its “Surprise and Delight” program. Through the #visitphilly hashtag, geotags and keywords, the destination marketing organization finds people who are documenting their Philly trip, getting ready to visit or missing the city, and then surprises—and delights—them with a Philly treat to inspire them to do more during their stays or to invite them to come back. The package...
New Design For Uwishunu.com Makes Loving Philly Even Easier
At today’s VISIT PHILADELPHIA® New Year’s Breakfast, the destination marketing organization announced a brand-new design for uwishunu.com, the what’s-happening blog of visitphilly.com. The popular site received 6.2 million visits in 2015.
“In short, the new uwishunu.com is designed to help people find more things to do, and then go do them,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO of VISIT PHILADELPHIA.
- Mobile, mobile, mobile. In 2015, 58% of VISIT PHILADELPHIA web traffic came from mobile devices. VISIT PHILADELPHIA designed the new site to be extremely mobile-friendly.
- Big images, a scannable layout and enhanced navigation give the
Record Hotel Occupancy And Leisure Room Bookings In Center City Philadelphia In 2015
Center City Philadelphia is on track to close 2015 with record hotel occupancy. The leisure travel segment—those who come to Philadelphia for fun trips and getaways—is a major contributor to these milestones.
Record Hotel Occupancy: 77.4%:
Center City Philadelphia’s hotel occupancy is projected to hit a record 77.4% in 2015, up from 75.5% in 2014. Travelers from all segments (leisure, group, business) will have filled a projected 3.1 million rooms, another record.
“People are coming for Philadelphia—the destination itself is the reason to visit, and travelers are doing it more and more every year,” said Meryl Levitz, president and...
10 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About The 2016 DNC Host City, Philadelphia
The 2016 Democratic National Convention will take place in Philadelphia, the birthplace of America and the country’s first World Heritage City, July 25-28, 2016. The city has enough history, art, culture, food, vibrant neighborhoods, parks and political landmarks to fill web, newspaper and magazine pages from now until the convention.
Here are 10 things people might not know about the host city, plus key resources for convention and destination coverage.
10 Philly Facts You (Probably) Don’t Know:
- One-quarter of the U.S. population lives within a five-hour drive of Philadelphia.
- The fast-growing Indego bike-share program launched in spring 2015 and
Halftime Report: Leisure Tourism Occupancy Having A Record Year In Philadelphia
Center City Philadelphia hotels are enjoying a successful 2015 so far, with occupancy for the first six months beating last year—76.2% in 2015 vs. 75.2% in 2014 (January through June). All three major market segments (leisure, group, commercial) increased in the first half of the year. Leisure showed the most growth.
Center City hotels reported record leisure bookings in the first half of 2015. From January through June, hotels sold 416,000 room nights to leisure travelers—up 3.8% from the first half of 2014.
“Leisure has been a consistent producer for Philadelphia over the past two decades,”...
Tourism: Philadelphia's $10.4 Billion Industry
Released today, the VISIT PHILADELPHIA® annual report demonstrates the importance of the region’s travel and tourism industry, responsible for $10.4 billion in economic impact in 2014 alone. The report is downloadable at visitphilly.com/annualreport.
“Greater Philadelphia’s tourism industry is strong and getting stronger each year,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO of VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “The leisure segment has been particularly successful. It’s increased 90% since 1997, making it the fastest growing segment of all.”
- Greater Philadelphia welcomed a record 39.7 million day and overnight visitors.
- Visitor spending in Greater Philadelphia:
- Generated $10.4 billion in economic impact—or
Visit Philly Ranks #3 On List Of Top U.S. Cities On Social Media
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® was an early adopter of social media, signing on in 2007, and today the company’s social media accounts—known by fans and followers as Visit Philly—rank #3 in terms of engagement (liking, sharing or commenting on posts) among 13 cities included in a study done by independent social media agency Sparkloft Media.
“Our 15 social media accounts reach nearly 800,000 people, and we’re committed to ensuring that these platforms provide compelling and useful information to locals and visitors,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO, VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “This study shows that our significant investment keeps us right up there...