Philadelphia and the Countryside - Press Room

Congress Hall

Congress Hall

Situated at 6th and Chestnut Streets adjacent to Independence Hall, Congress Hall was completed in 1789 as the Philadelphia County Court House, serving as a meeting place of the U.S. Congress from 1790-1800. Among the historic events that took place here: the inaugurations of George Washington (his second) and John Adams and the establishment of the First Bank of the United Sates, the Federal Mint and the Department of the Navy. The building was later used by federal and local courts and has since been restored inside and out to the time period when it served as the U.S. Capitol.

Credit: Photo by M. Edlow for Visit Philadelphia™

Tags: Historic District, History

The high-resolution photo galleries of the visitphilly.com pressroom contain downloadable high-resolution images. These images MAY be used for editorial purposes ONLY in magazines, newspapers and online; by non-profit organizations promoting Philadelphia tourism; and by for-profit organizations hosting meetings and conventions in the region. These images MAY NOT be used in advertising or in for-sale items. Photos MUST be accompanied by a photo credit that includes VISIT PHILADELPHIA and the photographer's name.

If you have further questions, please contact at or via phone: