Standing out among the buildings in Philadelphia’s Old City neighborhood are the Christ Church steeple and the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. Founded in 1695, Christ Church has been called “The Nation’s Church” because of the Revolution-era leaders who attended services here (Ben Franklin, George Washington, Betsy Ross). The gilded mitre atop the steeple replaced the original gilded crown after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, symbolizing that the King of England no longer had authority over the church. People inside the 100,000 vehicles that drive across the nearby Benjamin Franklin Bridge enjoy a bird’s-eye view of the steeple. Originally named the Delaware River Bridge when it was opened in 1926, the suspension bridge contains pedestrian walkways along both sides—making it popular with the running community.
Credit: Photo by J. Fusco for Visit Philadelphia™
The high-resolution photo galleries of the visitphilly.com pressroom contain downloadable high-resolution images. These images MAY be used for editorial purposes ONLY in magazines, newspapers and online; by non-profit organizations promoting Philadelphia tourism; and by for-profit organizations hosting meetings and conventions in the region. These images MAY NOT be used in advertising or in for-sale items. Photos MUST be accompanied by a photo credit that includes VISIT PHILADELPHIA and the photographer's name.